Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kek Lapis Betawi Diva



The original color of this cake is plain (the color of the batter) but I add in pink color as per requested by my children. The taste is distinctive because of the special 'rempah kuih'. I bought my rempah kuih at Brunei and it is quite pricey because it's imported fron Singapore; $2.95 for a 15g bottle. This is also my first time of baking a Kek Lapis with baking powder and cream of tartar. I was sceptical at first but after looking at the marvellous outcome of the came, this cake is definitely going to be one of my favorite and I'll bake it for this coming Hari Raya, Insya Allah. Before you try this making this cake, I would like to remind you that it needs extra work, unlike the normal cake lapis but the process of 'melapis' is super easy.

Ingredients:

A.
300 gm butter
150 gm castor sugar
6 tbsp of condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
14 egg yolks

Beat butter with sugar and condensed milk til white and fluffy. Add in vanilla essence and egg yolks, one at a time while beating it continuosly til it's well mix.

B.
7 egg whites
150 gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

In a different bowl, beat egg whites til it's foamy. Add in sugar and cream of tartar and beat it for about 5 minutes or until it's fluffy but please don't overbeat it. Then pour this batter inside the butter batter and mix well.

C.
200 gm Hong Kong flour (normal flour will do)
2 tsp rempah kuih
1 tsp baking powder

Add in all flour, rempah kuih and baking powder into the butter batter and mix well.

Lined a 8" x 8" tray and do the first layer with 4 tbsp of batter. Use upper and lower heat for the first layer and after it's brown and cook, add in the second layer, also 4 tbsp and use upper heat through out the last layer. When all layers are done, cover the cake with aluminium foil as to prevent the top layer from being too dark and cook it for about 1/2 hour using upper and lower heat. All laywr cake uses 150-160 degrees celcius heat.

P/S: Always Remember to preheat the oven using upper and lower heat at 150-160 degrees celcius for layer cake.


I divide my batter to 2, one is plain color and one is pink color. You can skip this by making this cake with its original color of the batter or even change the color that you like.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

2 comments:

FanNeeL said...

Hi. May I ask where did you bought cream of tartar? Does that got sell in Miri?

diva_mieza said...

Hello there! Sorry for my very late of reply. My life is super busy and super hectic, thanx to my 6 kids! Yes, you can find the cream of tartar anywhere, any supermarket or the easiest place to find is at KS Tan. It is powdered and looks like baking soda or baking bicarbonate.