Last night, I googled high and low for the ultimate pau recipe because from my experience trying recipes from the internet, there's tendency where the author of the recipe altered here and there and end up posting unsuccessful recipe for other people to try and I think that's sucks. It's not that you'll get something bad if people succeeded trying your recipe, you even get merit from allah from passing such a good knowledge to be uses from one person to another, a never ending cycle. I've altered a little bit but, no worries, it didn't affect the quality of the pau, as long as you follow the direction.
Diva Mushroom Chicken Pau
4 cups pau flour (I use Bluekey brand)
1 cup warm water (if you need more, just wet your hand while kneading the dough, then you wouldn't end up with adding too much water in the dough)
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp bread improver
1. Dissolve sugar in warm water in a bowl. Then add in flour and yeast and mix it with your hand and kneading it with great effort to activate the yeast.
2. Cover the bowl with damp towel for 15 minutes until the dough risen. Then knead it again and wait for another 10 minutes.
3. Pull the dough into smaller balls, depending of the size that you want.
4. Heat the water in the steamer.
Chicken mushroom filling:
5 shitake mushroom - soak for half an hour, then slice into pieces
150 gm minced chicken
Onion - sliced
Salt, pepper and sugar to season
1. Saute the onion til brown and fragrant then add in the minced chicken.
2. Add in mushroom and stir til the chicken are cooked. Season to taste.
1. Flatten the small ball dough and add in the fillings, a tablespoon at a time and cover the dough back by pulling the side of the dough upwards. Put each of the pau on a small piece of paper, to avoid it sticking on the steamer. Do these til the doughs are finish.
2. Cover the steamer's lid with a big cloth (I use baby's nappy cloth) to avoid any dropping of water on the pau.
3. Put the pau inside the steamer and steam for 15 to 20 minutes, the bigger your pau, the longer it takes to cook. Make sure there's enough space between the pau for expanding.
4. Serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee. In my case, I enjoy it with a glass of Coca Cola.